Last night’s edition of Wes’s Musical Meltdown was a very special one. In addition to our normal mix of music and conversation, my guest co-host and interview subject was my friend, the bright, talented Shelly Gage. Shelly, like myself, is blind. However, unlike me, she has a chance at having her vision restored. I brought her on the show to talk about the cause of her blindness, what it’s taken from her, what it’s given to her, and why she wants to take this chance to have her sight restored.
Unfortunately, the process Shelly will be going through is costly, and not covered by insurance. In addition to telling her story, I wanted Shelly to have an opportunity to promote her fundraiser to raise the money necessary, as well as a chance to talk about and introduce us to some of her own music. Below, you will find informative links, as well as the links to donate and to reach out to Shelly. I can promise it won’t be the last time Shelly will appear on The Meltdown. Watch this space, as we hope to have a very special announcement of an event coordinated in partnership with myself and Shelly to help raise funds, awareness, and to entertain you, the listeners.
To give a little bit of background on Shelly, though this will all be discussed in detail on the podcast…Shelly went blind at the age of 13 due to diabetic retinopathy. At the time, she’d been a figure skater, and was constantly improving her skills and skating competitively. However, the loss of her sight changed all of that. Her hope is that the procedure she intends to undergo will bring back enough of her sight to allow her to ice skate safely and independently. Shelly is a lovely person, and deserves all the help she can get to achieve this goal.
You, my faithful listeners, know I always appreciate you tuning in, supporting the show, downloading, and sharing the links. Even if you can’t donate, I urge you to listen to this show if you missed it, and to share this post far and wide so we can hopefully help Shelly achieve her goals. Enjoy the show! As usual, if you like what you hear, Make an Amazon Purchase and help the page.
And yes, we of course had the Cover Comparison, requests, and all of that…Including the obligatory couple of technical hiccups and speaking flubs by yours truly. For me, this will go down as one of my most memorable shows. I hope you enjoy it as much as Shelly and I did.
Links From Last Night’s Broadcast
All links will open in a new browser window or tab.
- Click here to Donate and read Shelly’s Story
- News Article About This Type of Stem Cell Research
- Follow Shelly on Twitter
- Download Shelly’s Music on SoundCloud
- Follow Shelly On Instagram
- Shelly’s Facebook Music Page
- FB Page Devoted to Shelly’s Stem Cell Procedure
- Halestorm, Apocalyptic
- Black Star Riders, The Killer Instinct
- Revolution Saints, Way To The Sun (feat. Neal Schon)
- Theory Of A Deadman, Angel
- Ramones, I Remember You [Request]
- Ramones, 53rd & 3rd [Request]
- Rush, Limelight [Live]
- UFO, Lights Out [Live]
- Shelly Gage, A War Wherein, Op. 1 No. 4
- Sara Bareilles, Carolina
- Sara Bareilles, Uncharted
- Shelly Gage, For The One I Love, Op. 1, No. 1
- Joan Jett, Bad Reputation
- Avril Lavigne, Bad Reputation (Joan Jett cover, Studio) [Bonus Track]
- Third Eye Blind, Never Let You Go [Request]
- Third Eye Blind, Semi-Charmed Life [Request]
- Third Eye Blind, Jumper [Request]
- Weezer, Hash Pipe [Request]
- Megadeth, Sweating Bullets [Request]
- John Anderson, Straight Tequila Night [Request]
- One Direction, They Don’t Know About Us [Request]
- Linkin Park, Nobody’s Listening [Request]
- My Chemical Romance, Romance [Request]
- My Chemical Romance, Cubicles [Request]
- My Chemical Romance, Sleep [Request]
- Evanescence, Give Unto Me [Request]
- Third Day, Give / Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus / With or Without You / Your Love Oh Lord (medley) [Request]
- Sanctus Real, Change Me
- Sanctus Real, Forgiven
- Barlowgirl, Never Alone [Radio remix]